Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Childrens Hospital

Happy holidays everyone. Madison, Megan and I kicked off the holiday season by paying a visit to the Childrens Hospital Los Angeles. Our host was the amazing Joanne Reyes, Director of the Children's Miracle Network. We had a special, behind-the-scenes tour of this incredible, multifaceted healing facility. The visit was part of all the fundraising Madison and I have been doing for this important institution It's been a financially tough year for everyone, so these kids needed our help more than ever. On average, the Childrens Hospital goes through 70,000 toys per year because they give a toy to every child who undergoes a "big" day (ie surgery, chemotherapy, etc.), and they also give a new toy once a week to the long term child patients. We saw communal family visiting areas, surgery rooms, and play areas for these brave kids. The reason I love doing this sort of work is that it reminds me of what's really important in our lives, and how easy it is to take the simple things in life for granted.

This is a perfect example of the power of a photograph to convey a message much better than the written word. Understandably, photography is really restricted at the Childrens Hospital, however, I was able to snap a couple photos with my i Phone that I hope give you a glimpse at life in this special place.  

This holiday season, I hope I've inspired to you to think more about giving than receiving. The truth is, the gratitude I get by helping in this small way gives me a much bigger reward than any gift I could imagine.

If you want to know more, or find out how you can help, contact Joanne Reyes at cjreyes@chla.usc.edu, or call 323-361-1708.  You can always see more at www.chla.org too!


Dropping off toys to Joanne for this kids.

 
This for sure will make some little girls day.


 
Myself and My Brother Madison.


 
Megan and Madison


This was a very special room for the teenagers only.  A spot where they can hang out and play games, watch tv, chill, listen to music and hang out with other teens sooooo cool.


 
 
Not a bad view.


A very important machine that the doctors can give surgery to the kids.  These machines are not cheap at all and they need so many more.


This just might be the youngest fan for Madison.



Here's wishing you an abundant and joyful 2010...

Video

Childerns Hospital LA - Needs Toys from John Hildebrand Photography on Vimeo.

6 comments:

  1. you really captured the day. nice! so cool it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honarable stuff you are doing! Interesting to see your great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice John and Mad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much John, Madison, and Megan! It was my pleasure to host you at CHLA. Please know that you ARE making a world of difference to sick and injured kids who need our help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome guys, love the children, this is what Christmas is all about!! xoox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry John, this was from me...

    My mom has been hand making hats for the children in the cancer ward at Childrens.. We should have enough to distribute them soon, possibly you would like to join in on the joy of giving!!!!
    Happy New Year and keep up the good work!!
    xo

    and I wish you the best New Year ever!!

    ReplyDelete