Friday, March 20, 2009

HDR Photography For Real Estate

So to make some extra money I started shooting for all the realtor's around Malibu, CA. When I normally shoot high end Architecture I have to shoot all day and night with a full crew and lighting. But Now with HDR its will take me about 1 hour to shoot a 3,000 sq ft house with no lighting and no crew.

So I thought I would tell you guys how I do this and show you some sample photos. First you need to shoot with a high end camera I use the Canon 5D Mark II.

What is HDR?
HDR is short for High Dynamic Range. It is a post-processing of taking either one image or a series of images, combining them, and adjusting the contrast ratios to do things that are virtually impossible with a single aperture and shutter speed. I would say that about 75% of my images use the technique, and if you are new to it, then you may notice a slightly different “look and feel” to my photographs. You should also probably note that HDR is a very broad categorization, and I really hate categorization. My process starts with using basic HDR techniques, but then there are many more steps to help the photos look more… let’s say… evocative.
Shooting:
Bracketing:

Setup your camera to bracket 3 or more images. Ensure that your bracket covers the entire range of light that is present in the scene. Example shoot at -2, -1, Normal, +1, +2 exposures. Shooting only in RAW format.

Making it HDR:
Than its just this simple bring in the images to a program called Photomatix. Its only about $99 and pretty much is the only program that I find that works for me. On this site it will show you set by step how to do this.

Lightroom:
Than use Lightroom to do a little more love to your images.

UseFull Links:
http://www.hdrjapan.com/photography/tutorials/hdr-photography/
http://www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr-tutorial/
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/?promoid=DJDWV
http://www.hdrsoft.com

Sample Images:



3 comments:

  1. love these shots. hopefully i hae another property for you too shoot for me soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. is that Chris Riel's house in Cito or whaaa?? i know that red door and those blue shutters LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Madison HildebrandApril 20, 2010 at 5:02 PM

    love these shots. hopefully i hae another property for you too shoot for me soon.

    ReplyDelete